Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Blueberry mochi muffins

I started looking for a mochi cake recipe last year and stumbled upon this version on Week of Menus, a blog filled lots of awesome recipes. The mochi cake was super easy to make and well-received by our dinner guests. Friends raved about how delicious it was - especially the chewy corners and edges. Their comments motivated me to buy a mini muffin pan so that each serving of mochi cake would be covered in the edgy goodness. 

Here's the recipe I used from Week of Menus, with a few tweaks:
(makes 24 mini muffins)

1 1/2 cups (or 1/2 pound) of mochiko flour 
1 teaspoons of baking powder
1 dash of salt
5/8 cup of sugar (I never use more than half the amount of sugar stipulated in any recipe - I hate when desserts are too sweet)
1 13.5 oz can of coconut milk (I use the lowest fat version I can find at the Asian market)
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons of butter 
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
6 oz of blueberries

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray the muffin pan with a non-stick oil spray.
2. Whisk the mochiko flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar together.
3. In a separate bowl, melt the butter and combine with eggs, coconut milk, and vanilla extract.
4. Combine the ingredients in a large bowl. Mix until the mixture is smooth.
5. Spoon the batter into the muffin tin.
6. Add 2 blueberries per muffin.
7. Bake for approximately 40 minutes until the edges are golden brown.

I am a terrible baker so I don't believe in allowing desserts to cool for more than a few minutes - I'm just too impatient for that. Plus, I love how delicious things taste straight out of the oven. The mini muffin version is even better than the original!



1 comment:

  1. Yum. These look perfect. I eat things straight out of the oven too. I have no shame about that. :] // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete