Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Super Bowl Sunday

Jeff decided last minute to throw a Super Bowl party - and I was probably one of the last to find out! Despite my need to over-plan everything in advance, we managed just fine with 36 hours notice. It helped that our generous friends brought wings, guac, cookies, and chips. I also had leftover Espresso Chip Angel Food Cake (from Angel Heart Cakes) courtesy of Katie's non-shower the day before, so our food prep was minimal. 

On top of all that, Jeff made chicken satay with peanut sauce and salsa, Sandy and I made caprese salad skewers (a la Piatti's), and Bryan made sangria. Here's the recipe for the chicken satay and peanut sauce:





Chicken
  • 1 tablespoon peanut oil
  • 2 medium cloves garlic, thinly sliced
  • 2 skinless boneless chicken breast halves (8 oz each) sliced into thin 1/2 inch strips
  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
  • red pepper flakes for garnishing
  1. Marinate chicken strips in peanut oil and garlic for about 30 minutes and then grill.  
  2. Sprinkle cilantro and red pepper flakes on top.
Peanut Sauce
  • 1/2 cup of creamy peanut butter
  • 1/3 cup of water
  • 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon of honey
  • 1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons peeled and grated fresh ginger
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • pinch of cayenne pepper or dash of chili sauce
  1. Combine all the ingredients in a food processor until smooth. (We do it by hand because we're lazy.)
I don't watch football so I wasn't particularly interested in the outcome of the Super Bowl. I am a marketer so I did find the commercials interesting. If I'm being really honest, it helps to see the reactions of others as they watch commercials so that I can better understand what kind of advertising does and does not work. Yes, I can be a huge nerd sometimes. :)

Plus, it's always fun to get together with friends at home. I guess I've always been a homebody because this has always been the easiest, funnest way for me to hang out with friends. Even during my single days, I was never really into  clubbing or barhopping. I've always preferred staying in with good food and great company - I guess the former is technically optional, if not highly preferable. Luckily I've got great friends that can indulge these preferences!

No comments:

Post a Comment